When It Feels Like Time Is Not On Your Side
By Lori Severson
The Rolling Stones sang that time was on their side, and they were right – they’re still here, decades later! But particularly for those of us in the modern-day business world, there never seems to be quite enough time. I know most days I feel I could use more time. How about you?
Time management is a big focus in business. But can you really “manage” time? Not so much. Like so many things, time just is. How we view time is a reflection of our current state of thinking and being in the world. But if we can’t manage time, we can manage ourselves and our way of being with time.
When we are in “never enough time” mode, we start to move into a way of thinking called scarcity. Do you ever find yourself thinking any of these (or similar) thoughts as you get out of bed in the morning?
- I have a lot to do and not enough time.
- I can’t exercise today because I don’t have enough time.
- I’ll skip lunch or eat at my desk, because I don’t have enough time.
- When will I work on that project that’s due tomorrow? I’m in meetings all day, and I don’t have enough time to get it done!
My clients often confess to getting caught in this mode of thinking. Here are a few tidbits and questions that might be helpful if you find yourself often racing against time:
- The amount of time in a given day is the same for all of us.
- Time isn’t short, slow, fast or slipping away — it just IS.
- Concepts of time come from our mindset, often that of “never enough.”
- How could this “never enough” mindset affect your quality of life?
- What is most important to you, and how much time are you giving it on a daily basis?
- What is “quality time” for you? Can you commit to building more of it into your life?
- What will it take for you to have a more abundant view of time for your life?
- What one step will you take today to shift your relationship with time?
Coaching Tip: Notice your relationship with time. Ask yourself the last four questions above, and decide to make a shift in how you view it and in how you use it in your life.
About the Author
Lori’s specialty is the interpersonal side of business. If you want the secret decoder ring for effective communication, she can help. She connects leaders to their own intelligence unlocking powerful communication. Contact her at 480-227-0904, or Lori@DesertLightCoaching.com, www.DesertLightCoaching.com